Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
I haven't blogged over the weekend due to a great big essay on structural-functionalism, and yes dear reader, it's as fun a subject as it sounds! I think I made a few good points, about how it's rather conservative and undynamic, and how it's idea of the nuclear family is the building block of society fails to take into account non-nuclear families, not to mention it's almost inherent promotion of heteronormativity. I managed to put in some rather nice quotes, but couldn't find Bridget's great one from a rather ethnocentric evolutionist!
By far, however, my most pretentious line was that (due to it's mechanistic nature),
"structural-functionalism takes the anthropoi (άνθρωποι) out of anthropology" .
That essay took up almost all of the weekend and Monday, but it got finished in the end. I treated myself to a veggie curry as a reward for getting it done, and the peshwari naan tasted even better than normal - nice.
I'm going to a debate on religion in Iraq at 5, and picking Louise up before-hand, then it's alternative music night at the SU! I'm rather excited, as the poster has Sigur Ros on, and therefore greatness is assured. TEEEE-AAAA-WOOOOOOO (a sigur ros fan will understand this - I hope).

